Below is a list of answers to commonly asked questions. This should be the first place you look for answers to your questions.
Do I Need a Customer Number from the USPTO?
Answer:Yes. While you won’t need to enter the Customer Number into PAIRdownloader, you will need a Digital Certificate and Password associated with the Customer Number to access Private PAIR.
How does PAIRdownloader download Private PAIR documents?
Answer:PAIRdownloader utilizes the Digital Certificate and password you enter to automatically log into the USPTO website. Once logged into PAIRdownloader, you will then follow the below instructions:
- Copy e-Office Action E-mail. Open the e-Office Action E-mail you receive from the USPTO, highlight the entire body of the e-mail (e.g.
), right-click on the highlighted text and then select the Copy action which copies the body of the e-mail to your clipboard.
- Submit Copied E-mail to PAIRdownloader. In PAIRdownloader, you can either push the Submit Copied e-Office Action button or go to File and then select Submit Copied e-Office Action Email which will then submit the copied e-mail to PAIRdownloader. You should see a listing of the Private PAIR documents to be downloaded along with their respective download status.
Does PAIRdownloader work on Apple products?
Answer:Not at this time.
What computer operating systems does PAIRdownloader work on?
Answer:PAIRdownloader works on most Microsoft based operating systems including Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10.
What Version of Java Should I Use?
Answer:The USPTO Private PAIR system requires the usage of Java. As of August 15, 2013, the USPTO Private PAIR system is compatible with Java 7 Update 25. Below is the notice sent by the USPTO on 8/15/2013:
EFS-Web and Private PAIR are now compatible with the Java 7 Update 25
EFS-Web and Private PAIR users may now download and install Java 7 Update 25. In addition, the Private PAIR e-Patent Reference Java applet that allows users to download U.S. References is now compatible with JAVA 7. Please contact your IT department or follow the instructions provided at http://java.com/en/download/ to install the Java update.
Contact the Patent EBC at 1-866-217-9197 (toll-free) or firstname.lastname@example.org if you need further assistance.
Java Security Warning on Startup
Answer:PAIRdownloader accesses Private PAIR similar to how you normally access Private PAIR through a web browser. Because of this, you will receive a Java Security Warning pop-up each time you run PAIRdownloader such as the following:
(Screen Shot from Java 6)
(Screen Shot from Java 7)
The name of the Java application component will be “EntrustTruePassApplet“. This notice is standard when viewing with Java code for Private PAIR on the USPTO website (i.e. you will get the same notice when accessing Private PAIR (try www.PrivatePAIR.com) in Internet Explorer): You have two options when dealing with this Java security warning:
- Individual Notice Solution. You can select the option in the Java Security Warning that allows the Java application component to run (i.e. do not block this). With the above Java Security Warning, you would select the “No” option to prevent the blocking of the application component needed to access Private PAIR. Unfortunately, you will need to do this every time the notice is displayed which occurs each time PAIRdownloader accesses Private PAIR. If you want to prevent this notice from being displayed when using PAIRdownloader, see the Global Notice Solution below.
- Global Notice Solution. If you would like to globally prevent the notices from popping up when PAIRdownloader is started (or when you access Private PAIR directly through a web browser), you can change your Java security settings to prevent the pop-up from being displayed (we recommend speaking with your IT professional before making any change like this). To eliminate future Java Security Warnings when using PAIRdownloader, do the following:
- Go to the Java Control Console by either (a) right clicking on the Java icon in the Notifications Area then selecting Open Control Console or (b) typing “Java Control Console” in the Microsoft Start/Search box for Version 6 of Java or typing “Configure Java” for Version 7 of Java.
- In the Java Control Panel, select the Advanced tab, then expand the Security section and then expand the Mixed Code section.
- Select the Enable – hide warning and run with protections option.
- Select Apply and then OK which will apply the settings (you will no longer receive the Java Security Warnings when using PAIRdownloader or when accessing Private PAIR via your web browser).
What will I need to install PAIRdownloader?
Answer:You will only need the Digital Certificate issued by the USPTO and the corresponding Password.
How many licenses do I have to order?
Answer:PAIRdownloader is licensed based on the total number of patent practitioners in your law firm. There is no additional fee for paralegals or support staff. For example, if your law firm has 6 patent attorneys, 2 patent agents, 5 paralegals and 5 support staff, you will need a license for 8 patent practitioners.
What if a patent attorney or patent agent will not be using PAIRdownloader?
Answer:The subscription pricing for PAIRdownloader is based on the total number of patent practitioners in the law firm, regardless if they directly use PAIRdownloader or not. The reason for this is that PAIRdownloader will be downloading all e-Office Action program documents for all patent practitioners in the law firm, so at least one support staff person will be accessing the patent practitioner’s Private PAIR documents.
What is the yearly subscription fee for PAIRdownloader?
Answer:The yearly subscription fee for PAIRdownloader is $99 per year for each patent practitioner in the law firm.
Do we need additional licenses for paralegals and support staff?
Answer:No. Paralegals, legal secretaries and other support staff are allowed to use PAIRdownloader as part of the firm’s license based on the number of patent practitioners.
If you haven’t yet found the solution to your problem please visit our Support Page and fill out the form to further detail the issue you are running into.